A beautiful four course meal with one of Canada’s most celebrated chefs – all in support of the Wellington Centre for Sustainable Agriculture‘s primary mandate of supporting the next generation of new young, ecological farmers.
Thursday, October 2, 2014
from 6:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (EDT)
Featuring the students from the Food School helping Roary MacPherson, Executive chef at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland since 2003. Read more…
Shared Opportunities on Institutional Lands
Challenges and opportunities of on-site food production
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 22, 3:00 – 4:30 p.m. EDT
In Ontario, several institutions are already producing food on their properties as a way to generate revenue; supply nutritious fresh food for consumption (by staff, patients, students, etc.); provide skills training and therapeutic benefits; and build social enterprises.
Project SOIL is a three-year feasibility study that explores the potential of on-site food production at public health care and educational institutions in Ontario. This webinar will share how project partners at health care, social service and educational institutions went about getting gardens off the ground at their institutions, as well as some of the lessons we learned in the first year of working with pilot projects across the province.
Webinar participants will include:
- Chef Christopher Jess, high school culinary arts instructor in Fergus Ontario, and the guiding force behind the Food School Farm (Centre Wellington District High School);
- Doug Dowhos, Supervisor of Employment Options for St. Joseph’s Care Group and creator of the GreenWerks Garden social enterprise (Lakehead Psychiatric Hospital);
- Tami Proctor, Registered Horticultural Therapist leading the Victorian Garden project at Homewood Health Centre;
- Louise Quenneville, Emergency Preparedness Coordinator and Project Manager at Hôpital Glengarry Memorial Hospital; and
- Jenny Weickert, Our Farm coordinator at KW Habilitation.
For more information and to register, please contact Irena Knezevic at firstname.lastname@example.org